Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 2

I first want to thank all of you for all of your kind words, prayers and well wishes for Baby Sophia. Yesterday was amazing in so many ways. Not only was it amazing to finally meet our beautiful baby girl and sleep comfortably knowing her first surgery was a success, but it was even more incredible to see my husband's strength through it all.

Dan was so awesome with me in surgery. I was scared for so many reasons; not knowing what to expect with a c-section, not knowing how Sophia would do right when they took her out, scared to death of what condition they would tell me she was in after doing their initial exam in the connecting room, etc. Dan just sat by my side and said everything would be ok. I couldn't see what was going on while they were finishing up with me, but Dan could. He just kept giving me the play by play of what he could see which was incredibly comforting.

Dan then helped the NICU team transfer her over to Children's Hospital and waited with her while they did another assessment which determined her need for surgery. Angie told me that Dan would not sit down and eat or even just to rest. He was by her side the entire day. I felt badly that I couldn't be there as I was in recovery myself, but each time Dan called to update me on her status I would hang up and feel such a sense of relief and also such pride in my husband. He did not leave Sophie's side for one second. My children are blessed with a truly fabulous father :)

No comments: